Our training module on “Feedback Techniques” may stand alone or be melded with other successful Cortel topics such as: Coaching, Mentoring, Motivational Techniques, and Leadership, Management, & Supervisory Training.
This beneficial training helps you swing from ‘recipe’ to ‘relationship’ thinking. Because feedback conversations are complex interpersonal interactions influenced by a multitude of sociocultural factors, learning the best strategies, techniques, and famous Cortel ‘scripts’ will bring you maximum success.
Besides Cortel “Feedback Scripts,” written for almost-every situation, some of the tenets include the following:
- Feedback should be relevant and encouraging.
- Feedback should be kind – you are actually giving the person a ‘gift’ of honesty.
- Use your “I” messages and avoid “we” messages, which could cause paranoia or nervousness.
- Feedback should be timely – don’t wait until a tiny mole hill has turned into a large mountain!
- Feedback must be focused on respect for the person and situation at hand.
- Feedback requires active listening using a series of open-ended questions.
- Feedback must be constructive – using real examples that were observed, whenever possible.
- Feedback may require the technique of broken record.
- Feedback requires a call to action as well as a plan for follow-up.